Whether it's because they're feeling awkward or just plain old at a loss for words, people say some crazy things tonewlyweds! It's almost as if, faced with a couple who has just vowed to spend the rest of their lives together, they can't stop themselves from delivering cliches about marriage up the wazoo! Many of them downright offensive, by the way.
Granted, many times, people are speaking from their own (often negative) experience when spouting their kookiest gems, so maaaybe we need to give them a break.
But if you're that loved one without a filter, maybe you could also use a tip! And if you're that newlywed barraged by inappropriate platitudes, you could probably use a laugh. Here are 10 things never to say to a newlywed. Take note, Aunt Edna!
1. "So, does life feel different now you’re married?"
2. "Welcome to the club! Now you get to be miserable like the rest of us!"
3. "So how does it feel to have kissed your sex life goodbye?"
4. "Oh, don't worry, the first year is the WORST!"
5. "Are you still going to work?"
6. "You're not taking his last name, right?" or (assuming you have) "I can't believe you're now Mrs. So-and-So!"
7. "Guess the honeymoon phase is officially over now!"
8. "Are you pregnant yet???"
9. "You do know you have a 50 percent chance of getting divorced, right?"
10. "Enjoy it now before you have kids! That's when everything changes!"